Thursday, June 30, 2005

Around the World in a day!

Well, it's been awhile since I've logged a story on our site but with good excuse. We left East Asia on the 17th of June and set out for 24+ hours of traveling with a 6 month old. I was SO nervous about it being a difficult trip. But of course, Abby was a gem the whole time! We flew from our city in East Asia to Tokyo where we caught a bit of a baseball game on a big screen t.v. at the airport (Josh was thrilled), shared a bag of peanut butter m&m's and a bottle of diet pepsi before boarding our next plane headed for Minneapolis. The flight was great. Abby slept 6 of the next 10 hours. (We didn't sleep at all. . . but she slept great!) After we landed we were greeted by Abby's Grandpa Hunt who was THRILLED to see her! I would say that she adjusted from jetlag pretty quickly. It might have been 2 or 3 days before she was sleeping through the night and not waking up to play. Other than a few minutes here or there she wasn't really grouchy or grumpy either! She did fantastic. Abby and I spentthe next 4 days at my mom's house and then flew to Colorado where we are now. Josh was already here in Colorado, so I had to fly alone with Abby from Duluth to Minneapolis and then Minneapolis to Denver. I had knots in the pit of my stomach as we were getting ready to leave. I really prayed for God's grace and strength as we traveled. And He really answered my prayer! Once again Abby charmed the pants off of the other passengers and the stewardesses. She was great on both flights. . . no fussing. .. no crying. . . she slept and then ate on both landings so she didn't seem to experience the ear pain on the way up or down. When she was awake on the flights she flirted with everyone she could make eye contact with. When we were getting off of the plane some of the folks around us were giving her high fives and tickling her feet... she of course smiled the whole time and giggled at them. I know that she is not perfect. . . but she sure seems to be "perfect" during the times that I most need her to be! She is such a reminder to me of God's grace! She has rough days just like any kid, but she is such an amazing little girl! I just absolutely love being her mom! We are still working on a "normal" schedule for her. She sleeps and eats during normal times but her naps aren't quite what they used to be. But, it's hard to tell if her weird naps are because of the time difference and we're still adjusting from that. .. or because she has experienced so many other changes in the last 2 weeks. The way I see it, we'll just get things figured out here and then we'll be leaving Colorado and traveling between here, Iowa, Wisconsin and Minnesota... and then heading back to Asia. So, what is "normal" for a 6-7 month old baby who is traveling as much as Abby is and who literally traveled around the world (from one side to the other) in a day? I have not found any good resources on how to travel well with a small infant.. .if anyone has any tips, stories, experiences that you want to share. . . send them my way. :) Enjoy the pictures of Abby and some of her experiences thus far on her first trip to the United States!

2 comments:

Gina Marie said...

How many naps is Abby taking now? Maybe she needs to drop one, if they're getting shorter.

As per the flying, it sounds like you don't need any tips! It sounds like you're doing the right thing, just getting her back on her normal schedule again.

chinatammy said...

Hey Gina, When in Asia, she was taking 2 long ones (2 hours each). But now, sometimes she's taking 4 but only one of them is long. I don't know how to help her change back to 2. Any ideas? And I have another question. . . How long should I be encouraging her to stay awake for at a time, now that she is almost 7 months old? She was solidly awake for 2 hours, then she'd sleep for 2 hours with the exception of the evening in which she'd be awake and happy for 3 hours. If she'd get a little fussy, I would let her take a short cat nap in the evening which would help her make it till bedtime around 7:30. But,now it's all different. And I don't know how to help her adjust to what it should be. I guess I should really try to figure it out because we'll have to do it again in a month or so when we head back. Any ideas?